Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Seafire Ib, MB345/K, 885 Squadron



Seafire Ib, MB345/K, 885 Squadron, HMS Formidable, May 1943



This was my first Spitfire conversion, built way back in 2006 or 2007 (I'm not sure when).

The Subject


MB345 was originally delivered as a Mk Vb, serial AR445, and converted to Seafire Ib standard in 1942. In January 1943 it was assigned to 885 Squadron.

This is a well photographed aircraft, typically on the deck FORMIDABLE and during the Sicily and Italy campaigns of 1943. I chose this subject for a simple reason: it was dead easy!



The Model


Just like the real aircraft this model started out as the Airfix Vb. The tooling is showing its age, but shape wise is still very accurate. Modifications were easy: I used a resin Seafire hook conversion (forgotten who made it) and added the strengthening panels to the sides using think plastic card. All done with the conversion.



Decals were sourced from my spares, using standard 8 inch black numerals and cutting out a white K from decal film.  The decals were of course applied over Future (Kleer) and then sealed under another coat of Future.



Paints were enamels, I used Humbrol paints that were listed as Tropical Sea Scheme colors for Dark Slate Grey, Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky. I won't list the colors because today I don't think they look right; at the time I had no idea what was righ or wrong for the TSS and when done this one didn't "look" right and still doesn't.



Summary


This was an easy conversion and I learned much about working with resin as this was also one of my first attempts at using resin extras other than simple wheels or props. I enjoyed the build and while it isn't as nice as the CMR kit (I have that one) it does fill a place on my shelf.

Thanks for looking...



No comments:

Post a Comment