Saturday, August 23, 2014

2011 Achievements



This year I kept better track of my builds and which theme(s) they were associated with. I also was able to achieve a few other goals for my hobby:
  • I started a blog of my Spitfire builds;
  • I participated in 2 Group Builds;
  • I completed 9 Spitfires/Seafires; my goal was 10 and I expected to get 8 back in October.
In order of construction, here they are:

Hobby Boss Spitfire Mk Vb, EP312 / D-K, personal mount of WC Dereck Kain, Edku, Egypt, 1944. Not a “bad” kit, but if you source the landing gear covers (mine came from a Revell Mk Vb), a new prop (Quickboost), and a new canopy (I used the kit one) it looks the part. Total cost is higher than it should be, given the aftermarket needed to make it acceptable. I’ll not do another. Dark Green, Dark Earth, Azure. Markings from spares and masks.
user posted image

Airfix Spitfire Mk IXc, 4th PS, 52nd FG, Corsica, January 1944, F/O Bob Hoover. I didn’t correct the kit like I should have as I didn’t realize the inaccuracies. This is a great kit to learn on, inexpensive and accurate in overall shape. Earth over Light Blue. Decals by Rising Decals (72-019).
user posted image

Airfix Spitfire Mk IIa, P7308/XR-D, 71 “Eagle” Squadron, P/O Bill Dunn, 27 August 1941. I finally got a new tooling Mk I here in the US and got the 3D-Kits Mk II conversion set at about the same time. I decided to make a IIa and try both out, since I liked the DFS in transition. Much has been said about the kit and conversion set, I’ve since purchased a half dozen more kits (the Mk I/II boxing) and the LR conversion from 3D-Kits. For the price this kit is an excellent basis for anything from an early Mk I to a Mk Va. Dark Green, Ocean Grey, Medium Sea Grey and Sky.
user posted image

Airfix Spitfire Mk IXc (early), MA585/KH-B, 403 Squadron RCAF, P/O George Beurling, 1943, (September Theme, “Canadian Bacon” and Spitfire Group Build online). My second attempt at the new tooling Mk IX, this time I corrected the kit by backdating the elevators, removed the wheel well bulges and sourced 5-spoke wheels. I also improved the cockpit with a better seat and column. Decals came from the Canadian IPMS sheet for RCAF aces. Dark Green, Ocean Grey, Medium Sea Grey & Sky.
user posted image

Airfix Spitfire Mk I, R6595, 610 Squadron, RAF, Biggin Hill, August 1940, (Airfix Group Build online). Another “old school” build, I decided to take my old 1979 tooling and make it a quick build like I would have back in 1979. Another subject chosen because of the history and with a unique scheme (too large unit markings and fin flash backwards). Hand painted Dark Green, Dark Earth and Sky; decals are from an Aeromaster Sheet on the BoB (72-028).
user posted image

CMR Spitfire Prototype K5054. I’ve quite a few of CMR’s Spitfires & Seafires to fill in my gaps. This is a lovely kit, it went together very quickly and I must say I’m getting much better at the vac canopy. Overall Light Grey-Blue (I used RLM 76).
user posted image

CMR Seafire FR.47, VP459, 179/P, 800 Squadron FAA, HMS Triumph, Fall 1950 (November Theme, “Land of the Morning Calm”). While I believe the Spitfire to be the most beautiful aircraft ever designed, the Seafire FR.47 is nearly my favorite of the line. In this livery it’s very attractive and the slim lines of the original Spitfire are taken to their limits. The only challenging portion of this build was the prop -- I wanted it to turn and may just replace it with a set that is permanently fixed. The vac canopy was no trouble at all.
user posted image

Airfix Spitfire Mk I (early), K9794, WZ T, 19 Squadron RAF, Duxford August 1938. Responding to another modeler who attempted to build their new tooling Spitfire and experienced an awful mess, I documented and shared my build as part of the same Airfix Group Build. I decided to complete it with spare decals from a CMR Mk I, as this was a scheme I wanted in my collection; albeit very close to the kit scheme.
user posted image

Fujimi Spitfire FR XIVe, 2 Squadron, 2nd TAF, RAF Wunsdorf, Germany, 1947. I began this build based on Paul Lucas’ excellent Camouflage & Markings, RAF Fighters 1945-1950 Overseas Based. Using period photos that appear to show a very dark scheme he surmised these were FR XIVe in the low-level recce scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey, Extra Dark Sea Green over PRU Mauve. Alas, more recent research indicates that while authorized, no FR XIVe were painted thus, and all were delivered in a modified DFS of Dark Green, Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey with a Night spinner. A fairly easy build, I had to modify the tail wheel to be retractible and open the starboard camera port. My first use of the newer Tamiya paints for the DFS.
user posted image
Those last 3 will get their own postings soon in order to provide the usual details.  I failed to complete the MPM Spitfire FR Mk XVIII, but December was just too busy for me. 

I also got my other blog started, focused on all my models, not just Spitfires.

Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment