Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hasegawa Spitfire Ia



This is a kit I purchased back in the early '90's and started shortly after, but didn't finish until 2009.

When I started it I thought it was a good kit. Well, okay the definition of "good" meant "easy to build" and "bad" meant "impossible to build". At the time this was a good kit, to me. I had no idea it had inaccuracies and because it was so easy to build I purchased two more. My desire was to build a series of Mk I subjects that represented the different schemes worn from 1938 to 1941. This kit actually comes with decals for two variants of the Mk I, an early machine from 19th Squadron in May 1939 and Al Deere's mount during the Battle of Britain.



I built the kit out of the box, however the decals were the wrong size and out of register. I had some spare roundels and codes in Medium Sea Grey. I did use the Kiwi marking for All Deer's KL-B as it was the right size.



Overall I enjoyed the build, albeit the other 2 kits in my stash may just be donors to other kits. The wing/fuselage is completely wrong, having no gull-wing shape. This was the 2nd time I'd tried weathering and I way overdid it.



Some day I'll redo the subject, but will use the new-ish Airfix Mk Ia kit.

Thanks for looking...


No comments:

Post a Comment