Saturday, February 8, 2014

F Mk XIVe RN119



Fujimi Spitfire F Mk XIVe, RN119/AE-J, 402 Squadron, RCAF, March 1945


I have a number of these Fujimi kits in their various guises. While they seem scarce as hen's teeth in shops and priced as such, they do become available at online auctions from time to time. I've got all I want of this kit, as I haven't identified enough subjects to drive me to want more. It doesn't help that as a building experience I'd rather not tackle such over-engineering. I originally built this model in June 2010.

The Aircraft



RN119 was assigned to 402 Squadron RCAF; the photo above is from the IWM, catalog number MH 6855, and is from March 1945.   It later served with 412 Squadron RCAF and finally with the Belgian AF post war.  One search indicates it was used to shoot down a Ju88 on 19 April. 

Other than this photo ensures the modeler can build an accurate replica, I'm not sure of the significance of this subject.  For myself, it was Canadian (I like having some Canadian subjects on the shelf for some reason) and it's a Spitfire.

The Model


My memory of this build has faded. I don't remember building it at all but know I must have as no one else builds models in my house and I don't accept built models from anyone. I do remember photographing it as it was done as part of a group of models while my basement was being remodeled and my photo booth was stored away.

At any rate, I do know it went together quite readily and at the time I had little references so the mods needed to make an accurate F Mk XIVe were not done. The ailerons are the wrong length (you have to fill the panel line to represent the shorter, Mk VIII style, ailerons) and there are some bumps that are in the wrong places or represent the PR Mk XIX. Also the cockpit just plain wrong for a Spitfire and if accuracy is important it must be replaced. Additionally, the tail wheel represents a modern modification; operationally they were retractable but modern war birds typically have them fixed down for both safety and maintenance reasons. I didn't make all the mods because at the time I didn't care.


I am sure this is the first of the Fujimi Spitfires I made and I was obviously impressed as I went out and acquired at least 5 more to represent the PR, F and FR variants, including one to be a FR XVIII (which I later realized was not right). Until AZ released their F Mk XIV kit, this Fujimi kit was the bee's knees as the other, Academy, kit is so wrong in shape; it's only redeeming value is a pretty good cockpit and some other details. Snap up the Academy kit at bargain prices and you can tart up any Spitfire.

It was painted using Model Master enamels as that is what I had at the time. I am sure I used the FS equivalents of the RAF Dark Green, Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey as it is what I had and I wasn't aware of the subtle differences in color back then. Of course now I'd be horrified to use FS equivalents on a Spitfire!

Obviously I used the kit decals. I do remember looking up the subject, JE-J/RN119, as I wanted to know its operational significance. One thing I dislike about Japanese kit makers is they typically provide no historical context for the subjects of their decals, just the squadron and sometimes the pilot's name. I truly loved reading historical context in the old Airfix instructions, it's what hooked me onto model airplanes way back when.

Summary


On the shelf it looks good. This must have been a quick build given I've no memory of it. I do have a few of those where I look on the shelf and wonder when I made it, only to note the copyright of the kit is within the last 20 years! I do have a plan for the other Fujimi kits, one of which is Ginger Lacey's mount while he was in Japan.

Thanks for looking...


No comments:

Post a Comment