Sunday, January 12, 2014

Spitfire III Part 3



Over the holidays I able to make some progress on my long term project -- the Spitfire III N3297.  Readers may remember my previous posting wherein I summarized my knowledge, which hasn't changed much since.  I did decide since that N3297 was the bird I wanted to model, and her 1st configuration specifically.

So after studying my donor kit(s) carefully I decided to break out the saw and start cutting.


Since the Merlin XX added 4 inches to the engine cowling, but with no change from the firewall back, I essentially cut the nose cowling off the fuselage sides.  Done very carefully since I don't quite know I'll add that 4 inch plug.  Oh, and the firewall above mid-point of the fuselage cants forward -- that's got me a bit perplexed in terms of describing, but the first thing I have to do is get the nose extended properly.

I also have to shorten the wingspan.  With lots of study of both photos (not many) and my refs, the best I can surmise is the wingtips were removed at rib 19.  This is a full rib station further inboard than the later "standard" clipped wing.  It's easy to spot on the Airfix Mk I/II as it's the panel line that is inboard of the typical clipped line.  


Since the aileron was also shortened, I had to figure out to what length; ultimately I realized it was shortened to the hinge.  Note that later Mk VII/VIII and later Griffon marks had shortened ailerons, however the Spitfire III also had another few inches removed.  This will be easy as now that I've cut the tip off at the right place, I just have to fill the end and then sand to the contour.

So that is my next bit of work, time to sand and fill.

Thanks for looking…



No comments:

Post a Comment